There is a growing acknowledgment by the investment industry, policy makers and society at large that environmental, social and corporate governance issues are key to ensuring the long-term sustainability of financial returns. With responsible investment now firmly embedded within fiduciary duty, it has never been more important for pension trustees to be aware of the opportunities and challenges that their role now entails.
This course will uncover what responsible investment (RI) means to a pension fund, and why and how it is relevant to the core task of securing long-term financial returns.
Who is this course for?
The course is primarily designed for UK pension fund trustees and management representatives who play a role in their fund’s governance.
Fundamentals of RI
- Global trends
- Regulatory developments: What is expected of today’s pension trustees?
- Stakeholder expectations
- How RI can enhance performance and guide risk management
- Key environmental, social & governance (ESG) issues
RI in Practice
- Developing your fund’s RI programme
- ESG integration
- Manager selection considerations and mandate templates
- Holding your intermediaries to account
- Reporting to beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Compliance with the UK Stewardship Code
- Gain a clear understanding of what RI means in the context of pensions management and fiduciary duty
- Leverage RI to give your fund a competitive advantage
- Enhance your understanding of existing and potential future regulatory and best practice requirements placed on pension fund boards
- Gain greater confidence in taking RI forward within your organisation, including with:
- The rest of the pension fund board
- The Investment Committee, or similar
- The in-house managers of the pension fund
- External service providers
- Improved ability to communicate with stakeholders in a meaningful way on how your pension fund can address key issues such as climate change, resource scarcity and human capital
The course can be adapted to the specific needs of your pension fund. We will work with you to create a bespoke session covering the topics that are most relevant to you.